What careers can you pursue with a liberal arts studies degree?
A liberal education prepares students for various professions that may appear unrelated at first sight. However, because of the diversity of these degrees and the transferrable skills they teach students, the liberal arts studies can lead to very lucrative career opportunities; some typical jobs with the liberal arts studies include:
- Academia: The interdisciplinary skills and knowledge earned through a liberal arts education will add a new depth to your exploration, research, or teaching of a specific field.
- Arts: Photography, commercial art, painting, interior design, graphic design, and visual design
- Education – Students are prominent in fields such as art or biology and take education programs on the side. These students can become elementary or secondary school teachers with a bachelor’s degree. With advanced degrees, such as a master’s or PhD, they are qualified for lecturer roles.
- Interpretation: Many liberal arts students will learn at least one foreign language, which can contribute to the career of a qualified translator, transcriber, or interpreter, as a foreign language teacher or journalist, or in the tourism and travel industry.
- Marketing: whether you pick advertising, marketing, public relations, journalism, news editing, SEO writer, ad designer, or art director. The humanities areas you studied will help you better understand people, while your communication skills will help you be understood. According to Maryville University, these specialists earn between $100,000 and $131,000 annually.
- Political science: careers in this area entail law, public policy, politics, business, and working for non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and charities.
- Journalism – Some liberal arts students use their ability to write, which they honed in college, to pursue a career as writers. These former liberal arts majors make between $61,000 and $70,000 per year, depending on their work and the years of experience they have to offer.
- Research analysts – Given how much liberal arts students must read and write during their studies, it’s no surprise that many become outstanding researchers. They can work for large corporations to develop products or expand businesses and earn over $80,000 annually.
- Interpreters – People fluent in Spanish, Chinese, German, Portuguese, and Russian have very high potential. The demand for people with these skills is predicted to rise by nearly 20% by 2028. On average, translators and interpreters earn around $50,000 per year, with the highest paid earning $67,000 or more.
World Influencers who take liberal arts studies
Oprah Winfrey – The host of the Oprah Winfrey Show- graduated Bachelor of Arts in Communications.
She studied broadcast journalism as an undergraduate before dropping out in 1976 to pursue a career in the media industry. In 1987, she returned to college and completed the remaining requirements for a communications bachelor’s degree. During her career, she had several artworks that impacted people worldwide. She also raised her voice to reduce gender discrimination and race discrimination globally. She was also writer of several inspirational books.
Elon Musk – business manager, Tesla’s CEO – graduated Bachelor of Arts in Economics and Physics.
Before establishing SpaceX, an aerospace and space transport service, Elon Musk attended the University of Pennsylvania and studied economics and physics in 1992. He invested in an electric vehicle manufacturer known as Tesla Motors in 2004, and now the brand has become the top #1 eclectic car worldwide.
Barack Obama – 44th president of the United States – graduated Bachelor of Arts in Political Sciences.
He studied liberal arts courses at Columbia University in New York City and graduated in 1983. He continuously attended Harvard School of Law to gain an in-depth understanding of the law and humanistic inquiry. During his presidency, he cooled down the Iraq war’s tension and established Obama’s care which helped millions of low-income American access healthcare affordably. Later then, Mr Obama won Nobel Peace Prize.
Micheal Eisner – Former Walt Disney Company – graduated Bachelor of Arts in English Literature and Theater.
He used to be the president of Paramount Pictures studio before operating Disney. Micheal studied liberal arts programs at Denison University in 1964. After graduation, he started his career as a host for NBC and ABC national news in The U.S. Then, Mr. Eisner participated in filmography. He had several well-known artworks, such as The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, etc.
Jack Ma – Alibaba Chairman – graduated Bachelor of Arts in English
He chose liberal studies at Hangzhou Normal University in 1988. Jack Ma, with his extensive English skills, caught entrepreneurs’ attention. In 1999, he, with 17 friends, founded Alibaba. Lately, it has become the global wholesale online marketplace.
Liberal arts study prepare individuals for every skill needed to be lifelong learners. The fundamental expands the career pathway for learners. They can unlimitedly challenge themselves in different jobs while achieving tangible and intangible perks in the workplace. As we all see, several genius individuals graduated with the liberal arts and contributed to changing the world.
Paris-U’s vision is to help people with fewer opportunities approach the most updated learning experience and improve intelligence. We help hundreds of students widen their career pathways. Everyone can be those great humans if we seriously invest in what we study. And let’s begin your fantastic journey at Paris-U.
To understand more about Paris-U’s programs, read here.
Careers for Liberal Studies Graduates. (n.d.). Retrieved from Marryville University: https://online.maryville.edu/online-bachelors-degrees/liberal-studies/careers
Linshi, J. (2015, July 23). 10 CEOS who prove a liberal arts college degree is worthwhile. Time. Retrieved August 31, 2022, from https://time.com/3964415/ceo-degree-liberal-arts/